Friday, March 8, 2013

A Plea to the Older Women

Where are you women of wisdom,
You whose behavior is reverent,
whose words edify, you
teachers of good?
I search, but find none. No one
who sings the choruses of
protective headship,
sweet submission,
 homekeeping
as refreshing, nourishing,
morning dew atop this
new, budding rose.
None who teach and exemplify
self-control, chastity, kindness,
biblical love that serves
others,
not selfish desires.
But rather
I hear clamor and lies
of how pouring life into those
entrusted to me
will scorch my strengths;
strengths for which better use
could be found outside these
four walls, and my parasitic family. 
I am trained not in the ways of
biblical femininity,
but feminism, infecting
the Church.
I see not an example
of proper headship, but
a sea of headless women,
usurping, and foolishly tearing
down homes day by day,
brick by brick.
But I need
You,
O wise woman,
who has built a
lovely, sturdy house.
Who in years past
fought in these trenches against
the ways of the world.
Who will now encourage me in
the ways of the Word.
Who lovingly submits
to her own husband,
and who served God in
the  role He deemed best for her,
as wife and mother.
Who welcomed children
as blessings from the hand
of God.
Who sought purity.
Who guarded her home
and her mouth, who trained
dear children and responded
to a dear husband with kindness
and self-control.
Please show yourself.
Please stake yourself
beside this budding rose,
so I may grow straight and tall,
learning what God's word calls
good.


Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good,  and so train the young women to love their husbands and children,  to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. Titus 2:3-5

5 comments:

Amy said...

I can so relate to this poem! Though, I am finding that those encouraging, helpful older women are out there both online and offline, even if they can be a little hard to find amid the noise of the world. I only wish I knew more of them! :)

Aritha V. said...

What a special post! Tell me, when is a woman an older woman? When I was young I was looking and praying for a mentor and never found. Now I am 45 :-)

I think the elder women, born after the war and had work. Struggle for life. I still pray. But now I have the age to help young women.

Anonymous said...

Headless women? While you may not put any value on your head, I would ask you to not discredit my head or the head of any other woman. I'm certainly not headless. I'm blessed to live a single life, but that doesn't mean I have no head. I have a very sharp head, and I'm pretty sure our creator would want me to use it. Why else would He bless me with it, if He didn't find me fit to make my own decisions in life? If I was meant to be "the crown" on a man's head, then why did I turn out so ugly?
Note, I have no problem with my ugliness, since I know God didn't put me here to decorate the world, or a man's head...

The Abundant Heart said...

Dear livejenny,
By "headless women" I was not referring to the intelligence or capabilities of women. Nor was I referring to single women, specifically. I was speaking, specifically, about married women with a worldly view of submission, whose attitude towards headship is contrary to that which is explained in 1 Corinthians 11:3..."the head of every man is Christ, the head of a wife is her husband, and the head of Christ is God."

Julia Forshee said...

What a great Biblical Principle to highlight. I have been trying to get my daughter interacting with older women, too. We have a knitting lesson set up before church :) I would love for you to share this post and/or another post that you would like to share with my readers at allthingswithpurpose.com. We started a Thursday linky party. Hope to see you there!!